4x4 Mates CQ

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Coil over strut nightmare!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shaker4x4

PostSubject: Coil over strut nightmare!   Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:25 am

I've got this long term problem on a 2010 Hilux SR5 D/C that is going to become worse with time and my adding modifications that add additional weight upon the lower coil-over strut eye rubber bushing.

With an ARB deluxe winch bar, winch with cable and extra heavy duty coil springs the rubber bushings have crushed and after 8,000kms, about to blow out! I have only a couple of millimeters of clearance between the wishbone and the strut eye. This is beginning to bind under load compression and there has been instances where the strut breaks and can be not only a hazard, but do a lot of damage or worse still, leave you stranded! I am about to add under-body guards and rock sliders on top. I'll eventually replace the winch cable for dyneema rope but this will make little weight difference to the issue already at hand.

The only options I have are custom rubber bushings with dual metal sleeves made by ultimate suspension, but I don't want to rely on them as an aftermarket solution. Then there is Superpro poly bushing, which are known to blow out worse than rubber, yet seems to be my only choice as a consumable item!

This coil over strut design is really bad and a huge concern.

I doubt I am exceeding axle GVM up front just yet.

Does anyone have any other ideas? In you opinion, do the Superpro poly bushes blow out as I was told? I believe if I replaced the lower wishbone bushes also with Superpro bushes, that would restrict movement of the wishbone and weight will be evenly distributed across the width of the lower strut eye bush...

Anyone know better than this? Suggestions?
Back to top Go down
tanz
lil man

PostSubject: Re: Coil over strut nightmare!   Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:13 am

Shaker,

It seems a bit odd to me that your bushes are flogging out just by the mods you've done unless there is something seriously wrong with your suspension setup or it would have to be overloaded to the hilt! Shocked

When the heavy duty coils were fitted, did the fitters tighten the lower mounts up after settling the suspension first? It sounds to me like the mount may have been tightened in a suspended state, and thus twisting your bush and tearing it out?!

Pictures of the offending bush would help better with a diagnosis, but as far as the Superpro bushes go keep them greased and they should last fine.

Back to top Go down
Shaker4x4

PostSubject: Re: Coil over strut nightmare!   Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:37 am

Hey Tanz. from what I gather it's a combination of weight and extra heavy duty (19mm) coils to support all that weight. It's not a hard ride even with LT tyres which I run at 58 cold (65 max.)

It's a common problem with them. and I'd like to use a better fix then consumable rubber bushings every 8000k.

It's difficult to take photos, but when I replace them, I'll take a pic then.
Back to top Go down
Shaker4x4

PostSubject: Update   Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:25 am

I'll update information on this.

As per my previous post, even the workshop I went to agrees this is a common issue modded Hiluxes have, where the lower strut eye rubber bushings 'pinch' and begin to blow out. If you have heavy springs and extra weight, it's something to keep an eye on even more so.

Anyway, to enable anyone lifting these 2" or more, it's advisable to use something like SuperPro eccentric poly bushings to push the lower wishbone back out for better camber/castor adjustment. To replace the entire upper and lower bushings in the front suspension, including the lower strut eye bush, IFS Hilux is the most expensive @ approx $1,500 including labor. The need to replace the entire bushing sets both upper and lower is to reduce sideways forces on the stronger poly strut eye bush. This is the best solution, otherwise, keep replacing this strut bush as a consumable. Not something I'd like to rely on in the middle of nowhere. Strut eyes have been known to break welds when it binds against the wishbone.

I can't go 4wd'ing until I fix my already 'pinched' rubber lower strut eye bushing. I've also dropped my cold LT tyre pressures 2psi to 56psi cold (60psi hot.) Any more than this and my on-road handling is too sloppy and basically, reduced handling can be dangerous. That's where it's best at with my setup.

As a mod safety issue, illegal strut spacers are dangerous as I've seen elsewhere them causing struts to brake due to increased down travel and maxing out ball joint limits.
Back to top Go down
Shaker4x4

PostSubject: Coil-over strut nightmare solution   Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:17 am

This image is not mine, but exactly the same as what my strut bush is doing now. It's common, not overloaded and all the weight of the front of the vehicle, including any modifications such as bull bar, winch, under-body plates and I dare not put an aux battery under the bonnet, because all that weight pushes down on these bushes. Add firm suspension on top and the standard rubber bushes can't cope as illustrated in the picture below.

On the right is the alternative SuperPro replacement, but an entire bush kit should be use with it to reduce horizontal movement particularly of the lower wishbone, which if not done, would create a 'pinch' effect on the new strut bush and see that too blow out. A work shop will charge $1,500 for the job, but this includes lower wishbone eccentric bushes as mentioned previously.

If the damaged rubber bush is not replaced and ignored, the strut eye can bind against the wishbone and cause a catastrophic failure of the strut end welds or shaft.

*Just a quick note that after I posted this, OL called me and my bash plates arrived. From engine sump to gearbox, 3 plates @ 3mm steel weigh in at 35kg. I can't fit these until I 1/ replace suspension bushes and 2/ replace the steel winch cable with Dyneema rope to reduce weight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coil over strut nightmare!   

Back to top Go down

Coil over strut nightmare!
Page 1 of 1