OuterControl 4x4
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OuterControl 4x4

4x4 Mates CQ

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff

Go down 
+2
tanz
Apples
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Apples
lil man

Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff Empty
PostSubject: Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff   Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 1:43 am

so who knows the exact laws for lift kits body lift tyre sizes and so on, i always hear ppl
asking whats the go with wat, and cops always booking one person for something and
another person for something different.

as far as i know a 2in lift 50mm is fine self approved, it may possible be
getting and Application for mod of QT ( transport) and fill out yourself to get done
no cost there.

and 2in 50mm body lift get the same APP for mod from QT, aslong as you
use high tensile bolts and solid bloks ie snake or solid steal, not nylon or cheap
crap

And tyres you are allowed 2 sizes higher over the std size on your vehicles build plate??
ie patrol comes out depending on model with 31in x 10.5 so 33x12.5 is fine and so on
for other fourbys

now anyone who wishes to go over the 50mm suspension lift must be engineered which
no one in rockvegas does, and to get it engineered must have front and rear sway bars
the correct castor correcting arms or bushes (not drop boxes these are illegal and gay)
and so on.

if anyone has heard anything different or other questions please ask or correct me if i am
wrong, i'd love to hear what everyone else has to say about any other cars??
Back to top Go down
tanz
lil man

PostSubject: Re: Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff   Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 10:20 am

Apples,

the requirements of Qld Transport regarding lifts/ suspension in regards to your question are by law as follows!

Suspension can be raised by 1/3 of the original travel. (I assume this is what you are asking in your 1st reference to "a lift of 50mm")

A 50mm Lift, actually the document still refers to a 2" lift (body) is allowable under the Qld Transport act, as long as an application to QT has been made and approved by the modification to a motor vehicle form.

Tyres are allowed to be 15mm larger in diameter from the largest size available from the manufatcturer, they are allowed to be 1.5 times the original width, but still have to maintain basically the original diameter! So, if you were to fit say 31r15's where the original tyre were 30r15's (i know it's a ficticious size) they would be Illegal.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
gqmad

PostSubject: Re: Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff   Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 12:38 am

tanz wrote:
Apples,

the requirements of Qld Transport regarding lifts/ suspension in regards to your question are by law as follows!

Suspension can be raised by 1/3 of the original travel. (I assume this is what you are asking in your 1st reference to "a lift of 50mm")
i was under the impression the measurement had to be the bumpstop measurement ie the distance between the bump stop and where it contacts the diff when the vehicle is sitting on a level surface ??? i could be wrong Rolling Eyes 1/3 of the original travel varies a great deal front to rear on something like a gq so if it was a "travel measurement" where would it be measured from the front or rear ???
Back to top Go down
tanz
lil man

PostSubject: Re: Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff   Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 3:42 am

Quote :
i was under the impression the measurement had to be the bumpstop measurement ie the distance between the bump stop and where it contacts the diff when the vehicle is sitting on a level surface ??? i could be wrong 1/3 of the original travel varies a great deal front to rear on something like a gq so if it was a "travel measurement" where would it be measured from the front or rear ???

The info is in the Qld Transport modifications booklet, pages 5&6.

The ride height measured between the rubber bump stop and the corresponding metal stop may be reduced by no more than 1/3.

The rebound travel measured between the rubber bump stop and the corresponding metal stop (or the extension of the shock absorber for vehicles without a rebound stop) may be reduced by no more than 1/3.

In addition the normal relationship between the front and rear suspension heights must not be unduly affected.

So, to answer your question. The lesser travel, be it front or rear, is to be used to calculate the measurement, and yes if the vehicle had bump and rebound rubber stops it's 1/3 of that distance, but without rebound rubber stops it allows 1/3 of the original shock travel.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
gqmad

PostSubject: Re: Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff   Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 4:50 am

tanz wrote:
Quote :
i was under the impression the measurement had to be the bumpstop measurement ie the distance between the bump stop and where it contacts the diff when the vehicle is sitting on a level surface ??? i could be wrong 1/3 of the original travel varies a great deal front to rear on something like a gq so if it was a "travel measurement" where would it be measured from the front or rear ???

The info is in the Qld Transport modifications booklet, pages 5&6.

The ride height measured between the rubber bump stop and the corresponding metal stop may be reduced by no more than 1/3.

The rebound travel measured between the rubber bump stop and the corresponding metal stop (or the extension of the shock absorber for vehicles without a rebound stop) may be reduced by no more than 1/3.

In addition the normal relationship between the front and rear suspension heights must not be unduly affected.

So, to answer your question. The lesser travel, be it front or rear, is to be used to calculate the measurement, and yes if the vehicle had bump and rebound rubber stops it's 1/3 of that distance, but without rebound rubber stops it allows 1/3 of the original shock travel.

Cheers,
so pretty much any 4x4 made after the one noah used to launch his ark is goverened by the 1/3 of the bump stop rule which is about 95mm in a gq so in theory a 31.333333mm lift is the most that can be put into something like a gq ??? also shouldn't the measurement be taken while the vehicle is on a flat level surface ??
Back to top Go down
tanz
lil man

PostSubject: Re: Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff   Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 3:24 am

The wording of the document is pretty ordinary IMO, as it has been written for vehicles (cars) being lowered in the main, but you're pretty well on the right track. There is no wording about the measurements being taken on flat and level ground, but that is the logical assumption!
Back to top Go down
Apples
lil man

PostSubject: Re: Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff   Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 7:06 am

ok sweet, so its just a matter of how you interprit (please ignore spelling im specil Question ) as the the bumpstop and so on? beacuse some ppl just dont know IMO stupid ppl!!

And as far as the 50mm body lift i am correct, but is it the same procedure for a suspension lift
getting the paper work from QT? because i have been stopped buy few police officers and they have asked for lift kit paper work?? and i have said is only 2inch is legal and they have tried to argue saying i need paper work?? this is where i am unsure, i know for a 4inch lift there is a guy who will do a blue plate compliance but do QT and police recognise this?? one would hope so due to heft price.

for 4 inch and 35in tyres on patrol is about $1100 full blue plate and paper work??
Back to top Go down
Kigle
lil man

PostSubject: Re: Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff   Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 8:02 am

body lifts must be approved by the department of transport. you can download the application form of the net, fill it out and send it in. once you get the reply you are then allowed to fit the kit. once the lift is in you are not allowed to drive the vehicle unless going to or from the department of transport for inspection. it costs around $70 for the inspection. this is how you are supposed to do it. so yes the cop is right in saying that you need paper work, you get a piece of paper saying that it is all correct.

you are only allowed an increase of 15mm rolling diameter regarding to tyres. this is basically to allow for the different actual tyre sizes between brands, you can't actually change a tyre size in the imperial tyre system without going over the legal threshold.

the suspension height can be changed by 1/3 of the stock bumpstop height. so that is to be measured from the bottom of the bumpstop to where it connects to the diff or chassis. extended bumpstops do not mean more lift. most cars are technically over with a 50mm lift...
Back to top Go down
tanz
lil man

PostSubject: Re: Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff   Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 12:20 pm

Kigle explains it way better than I! cheers

However, there have been two vehicles here in Yeppoon that have obtained the body lift approval without having to undergo an inspection. Oh, and you are required to carry a copy of the approval certificate at all times in the vehicle.
Back to top Go down
gqmad

PostSubject: Re: Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff   Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 12:02 am

tanz wrote:
Kigle explains it way better than I! cheers

However, there have been two vehicles here in Yeppoon that have obtained the body lift approval without having to undergo an inspection. Oh, and you are required to carry a copy of the approval certificate at all times in the vehicle.
there is a gq getting around rocky with 4" springs and 2"body lift that has been blue plated but never inspected by dot ........... i was defected for having an "unauthorised modification" i put a 2" body lift in without getting approval from dot got fined and put off the road for a month to get it sorted put the "application for modification" in mail to brissy and was approved 2 weeks later then had to present at dot for them to inspect the mod . I turned up with my truck which was wearing 33's ,adjustable rear arms ,panhards etc, 3" springs , rear brake bias valve bracket rah rah rah and all they were interested in was the body lift signed and stamped the papers all good cheers i have been pulled over and rego checked a few times since by both police and dot and never had a drama !!! all they do is check my blue plated mods (rear seats and turbo) then it's have a nice day sir cheers
Back to top Go down
mattie182

PostSubject: Re: Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff   Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 30, 2010 9:53 pm

and then its a whole different set of rules for an IFS vehicle
Back to top Go down
gqmad

PostSubject: Re: Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff   Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 31, 2010 1:41 am

mattie182 wrote:
and then its a whole different set of rules for an IFS vehicle
yep also body lifting a vehicle with airbags is a big no no too
Back to top Go down
Shaker4x4
Shaker4x4

PostSubject: Re: Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff   Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 11:30 am

They really should fix the documents regarding modifications. it's too confusing to the public and there are hundreds of posts all over Australia asking questions relating to different states.

I they made it clearer and easier to understand, the public would not be so confused about it. Each state should also fall in line, not have different laws regarding whats legal and what is not. It's hypocritical and unfair.

They should also make it so if you want to go beyond self approved mods, that it would be a simplified process. Currently the entire procedure it learning how to do brain surgery for the first timer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff   Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Laws on 4x4 suspension and stuff
Page 1 of 1